Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Christmas Cookies and Jet Lag

It's 4 a.m. and I'm wide awake eating Christmas cookies in the light of the dimly lit Christmas tree. I'm sitting here jet lagged and thankful. Oh so thankful. I've been thinking about this season of advent, and how I'm experiencing Jesus in a whole new way this Christmas. Christmas comes this time every year, and I know the reason why we celebrate so what's so different this year?

I've been reading through different blogs and  a devotional on advent and taking time each day to just read and meditate on what these days leading up to The Messiahs birth meant and still means today. I want to share a piece that really grabbed my heart this morning and helped me process why I feel even nearer to Gods heart these days.

"Someone told me this advent feels more like a lent- a grieving.
How in the world does a weary world rejoice?
We may not know why God doesn't stop all the different suffering-- but we definitely know it's not because he's indifferent. God is so moved by our being entangled in suffering that He moved himself into our world and entangled himself in the suffering with us. God with us.
Christmas is the end of division. Christmas is the beginning of the end of all suffering. Comfort, comfort my people, says your God.
This is what His glory does- like a river, His glory in the highest runs down to meet us who are at our lowest, those left out in the field who have lost our flock, lost our way, lost our hope. His glory in the highest always runs down to meets us at our lowest. This is what lets us sing like the angels did. "

There is such exquisite beauty in knowing that my comforter and Messiah has been born- the beginning of the end of all suffering. The beginning of the end of all suffering my students, and teachers have to endure in Cambodia and the suffering I've endured in my life too. In being enveloped and entangled in suffering of some of the most beautiful people I have ever known in Cambodia, I've really been entangled with Jesus' heart. This is exactly why He came to earth- to suffer for the suffering. I understand better than any time in my life why that little precious baby in a manger meant so much because I'm communing so closely with the broken, hurting, and suffering. It
makes every difficult moment in the past 4 months living in Cambodia worth it to know that I'm closer to my Fathers heart, and entangled in suffering with my Messiah.



I don't know where you are at in your life on the other side of this screen, but know that if you are suffering or are communing with the suffering this advent season Emmanuel--  God with us is coming and is near. 
"Comfort, comfort my people says your God" 

1 comment:

  1. Love it! So insane to think God himself came down to be with us, to live life with us. Thanks for sharing Sarah!

    ReplyDelete

Followers