Sunday, October 5, 2014

Where the Wild Things Are

Do you really want to know, where the wild things are?
Do you really want to go where the wild things are?

These song lyrics have been running through my head the past month or so here in Cambodia and I wasn't really sure why my heart was singing it out. There isn't anything Spiritually obvious about this song but somehow it has become my weapon of worship here.

Last week I watched Where the Wild Things are for the first time. It was never a story I read as a child, but the fact that these song lyrics had become a familiar song on my lips lately intrigued me to see what the story was all about.

To summarize, the story is about a child Max who runs away from his family and to an imaginary land where these wild creatures live. He weathers a storm on this old wooden boat and ends up on this island with wild things that are unhappy, lonely, and searching for something. He convinces them to be their king, and begins to build relationships with them, and helps them to build a new kingdom- one that they have dreamed of for a long time.
He delegates responsibility and calls out their giftings.
He shows them how to laugh and have fun again, and essentially how to love each other again.

Max had no special qualities to be a king. He was frustrated and lonely and running from his own family when he finds the wild things. But he comes in and changes their whole outlook on life.

As I was watching this movie, God was hitting me with the truth of why I'm here. To find the wild things.
That is exactly what Jesus did. 
He went to the wild places. 
He found the wild people. 
The hurting people. 
The lonely people. 
He brought them back to life. 
And He taught them to build His kingdom on earth. 

I am no different than Max. I have no special qualities that set me apart to lead the people God is allowing me to here. I come from a broken past, but I know who I am in my Father God and He has given me a heart to find the wild things in the world. To seek out the hurting, lost, lonely, and searching and to lead them back to Christ so they can build His kingdom too.

It all comes with a cost, and in the moments where I am overwhelmed and asking God why I'm in a foreign land He sweetly reminds me of my heart to go where the wild things are.

I got to spend a couple days last week with my Cambodian family here in Kampong Speu and just being with them reminded me of how blessed I am. I am here to go to the villages in the middle of nowhere, to bring laughter, love, and joy to the desolate and hurting places. To sleep under the stars on bamboo and get woken up by Cambodian babies, roosters, and the sunrise. To listen to their story, and love. To ride bicycles down worn dirt roads and rice fields, and to bath in mucky swamps while the sun is setting. To go to the wild places on this earth and love radically until His people come back to life again.

My journal today:

I've been searching for home lately. 
Home is somewhere between my passions and the sound of airplane wheels touching down on new land. 
Tears that have been shed over different lands & seas. 

Bumpy roads & wandering cows,
fields of water lilies, palm trees and rice, 
teetering shacks on stilts over mucky water, 
Fish farms where children are bathing, 
worn temples, and rusty mottos. 
For now thats home. 
Its where the wild things are.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers